Baked Eggs and Asparagus
- 8 thick asparagus spears, cut on the diagonal into bite-sized pieces
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 T Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C and spray two gratin dishes with non-stick spray or olive oil.
- Break each egg into a small dish and let eggs come to room temperature while you roast the asparagus. (Starting with the eggs at room temperature is VERY important.)
- Cut off the few inches of tough woody part at the bottom of each asparagus spear and discard. Cut the rest of each piece of asparagus on the diagonal into short pieces slightly less than 2 inches long.
- Put half the asparagus pieces into each gratin dish and put dishes into the oven to roast the asparagus, setting a timer for 10 minutes.
- When the timer goes off after ten minutes, remove gratin dishes from the oven one at a time and carefully slide two eggs over the asparagus in each dish. Put back in the oven and set the timer for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes (or when the egg white is starting to barely look set), remove gratin dishes one at a time again and sprinkle each with a tablespoon of coarsely-grated Parmesan. Put dishes back in the oven and cook 3 minutes, or until the white is set, the cheese is slightly melted, and the yolk is still soft then you touch it with your finger.
- Serve hot. I thought this was delicious just as it is in the photo, and loved the runny yolk on the pieces of asparagus, but you could eat with toast to dip into the egg if you prefer.