- 8 ounces bacon, chopped
- 4 lbs beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped fine
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 1⁄2 cups pinot noir wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 8 ounces white pearl onions
- 8 ounces sliced button mushrooms
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate and refrigerate. Pour half of bacon fat into small bowl; set skillet with remaining bacon fat aside.
- Dry beef thoroughly with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper; place half of beef (uncooked) into the slow cooker.
- Heat skillet containing remaining bacon fat over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook remaining beef in single layer until deep brown on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer browned beef into slow cooker.
- Add reserved bacon fat to now empty skillet and heat over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add chopped onion, carrots and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until vegetables begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomato paste and stir until beginning to brown, about 45 seconds. Transfer mixture to slow cooker.
- Return now empty skillet to high heat and add 1 1/2 cups wine, chicken broth and soy sauce. Simmer, scraping up brown bits, until pan bottom is clean, about 1 minute. Transfer wine mixture to slow cooker.
- Stir bay leaves and tapioca into slow cooker. Set slow cooker on low, cover and cook until meat is fork-tender, about 9 hours.
- In a skillet mix 1 tbs butter, 1 tbs sugar, 1/4 tsp salt and 1 cup of water place frozen pearl onions in the skillet, cover and let it cook on medium heat for 5-10 mins until the onions begin to caramelize, add mushrooms and 1/4 tsp salt cook another 3-5 minuets thoroughly caramelizing the mushrooms and pearl onions. Transfer the pearl onion/mushroom mixture into the slow cooker and cook for another 30 minuets.
- When ready to serve, discard bay leaves and stir in reserved bacon(personally I served the bacon on the side seeing as the hubbs isn't crazy about pieces of bacon in his Beef Burgundy). In large skillet, bring remaining 1 cup wine to boil over high heat and simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Stir reduced wine and parsley into stew and adjust seasonings. Serve with buttered egg noodles,