Cashew Bread Pudding with a Bourbon Caramel Sauce
- 8 slices of bread
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1-1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Cinnamon sugar (4 tablespoons sugar & 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons bourbon
- Preheat over to 300 degrees
- Cut or tear bread into 1 inch cubes and place in a 8-inch square baking dish; set aside.
- Whisk together sugar, eggs, heavy cream, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour mixture over the bread cubes and press the bread cubes gently to submerge.
- Sprinkle pecans and cinnamon sugar evenly on top; set aside for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and set aside to slightly cool.
- Heat the heavy cream and vanilla in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, 4 to 5 minutes, or until simmering.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar togetherin a small mixing bowl until combined.
- Stir 1/2 cup of the warm cream into the egg mixture.
- Whisk vigorously for 1 minute.
- Pour the egg mixture into the warm cream.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly for about 2 to 3 minutes, just until simmering.
- Once mixture begins to simmer, stir well and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in bourbon and strain.
- To serve, spoon bread pudding into bowls and drizzle with warm bourbon sauce.