- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 5 cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- Cream butter; add sugar gradually and beat until well combined.
- Beat in egg, molasses and vinegar.
- Blend in sifted dry ingredients.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Working in sections, roll the dough 1/4 inch thick on a floured surface; cut into desired shapes. Place on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough. Decorate with royal or buttercream icing.