- 1-1/2 cups yellow split peas
- 3 to 4 cups water
- 1/2 yellow onion, cut into 2-3 large chunks
- 1 carrot, cut into 2-3 pieces
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch turmeric, for color if needed
- 1 tsp salt, more or less to taste
- Juice from 2 lemons
- Olive oil for garnish
- Black pepper
- Rustic bread, pita bread, etc.
- Simmer split peas on low with water, carrot, onion, salt, garlic, oregano, and turmeric until very mushy. Keep adding water as necessary. You want a porridge like texture. It should take about 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove from the heat. Fish out the carrot and onion. It is okay if a bit of carrot remains; it will add color.
- Mash in pot with a spoon or in food processor until it still retains a shadow of split pea shapes but is mainly mash. Stir in most of lemon juice – reserve a small amount for next step.
- Scoop into shallow bowl, splash on a generous amount of golden olive oil, a bit of lemon juice, and a little pepper. Serve room temperature.