- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped (I used vanilla extract)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (I made my own)
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter muffin pan. Place vanilla pod and seeds in a small saucepan with butter, and place over low heat until melted. Remove pan from heat, and let the mixture cool. Discard vanilla pod.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, and salt into a bowl large enough to accommodate the ingredients, with ample room for mixing. Whisk together.
- Add the butter mixture and eggs to the dry mixture; pour in the buttermilk. Stir the mixture with a spatula or wooden spoon just until combined. The batter should be slightly lumpy.
- Add the berries. (If you prefer, substitute 2 cups of another fruit, such as peeled and chopped apples or pears.) Stir with a spatula just until combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan, filling cups completely. Using 2 cups crumb topping, sprinkle muffins generously; press gently to adhere. Bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.